How to Hygge – Create Coziness without The Holidays
What is Hygge and Why do I Need It?
It’s November! Which means it’s officially that time of year when Christmas barfs all over everything and, even if you don’t celebrate or aren’t ready to celebrate yet, you have no choice but to be inundated with Rudolph and his crew from November 1st on.
Enter hygge, a Danish word used when acknowledging a feeling or moment, whether alone or with friends, at home or out, ordinary or extraordinary as cosy, charming or special. That feeling when you curl up with a blanket, a pet, and a cup of hot chocolate? That’s hygge. And it’s the best feeling in the world.
So if you’re like me and like to wait to celebrate any holiday until after Thanksgiving, I’ve got the list for you. And, as a bonus, a snuggly playlist at the end to curl up with. No Christmas anywhere, I promise.
How to find Hygge Without the Pressure of the Holidays, A List
- Make Mulled Wine – This is my favorite! Mulled wine is spicy and warms your soul without beating you overhead with Christmas. It’s incredibly easy to make a quick mulled wine that can take any ol’ Tuesday to a snuggly level. Check out my favorite recipe here!
- Candles – We all have that stash of candles that we haven’t lit in forever because we were looking for the right occasion. Now’s that time! Light everything. There is no such thing as too many candles. Especially since Daylight Savings Time makes it dark at, like, 4.
Bonus tip: fill teacups with coffee beans and light tea lights nestled in the beans. The warmth of the candle will gently release the scent of the beans and make your home smell extra cozy.
- Sweaters – Every single person ever talks about how much they look forward to sweater weather. It’s here! Time to break out all of the best sweaters you have. The Aran sweater (also called Fisherman’s Knit) in the photos here is from Ireland, made on the Aran Islands, and is my absolute favorite fall + winter layer.
- Fairy Lights – Full disclosure, I still have the same strand from college. I still put it up. And I keep these on all year long. Some twinkly lights are going to bring the snuggly magic of that warm light without beating you over the head with The Holidays.
- Snuggly Blankets – Target has so many amazing blankets right now. Every kind of faux fur and micro fleece you can imagine. Go grab one (you deserve it!) and snuggle up. This is a great time to insert your favorite furry friend, partner(s), and cozy drinks. Which leads me to…
- Hot Chocolate – I know it seems silly but a good hot cocoa recipe will have you feeling cozy and snuggly all day long. Instant powders are great for work but if you have the ability to make it from scratch at home, do so. Your nose and toes will thank you.
- Knit Socks – It’s that time of year again! Snuggly knit socks, boot socks, those socks grandma knit you last year that you secretly kind of love, and every other kind of sock are just perfect for this season and this feeling.
Need more inspiration? Follow my hygge-inspired Pinterest board here! If that board doesn’t get you feeling snuggly, I don’t know what will!
A Playlist for All Your Hygge Needs
As promised, here’s that playlist, crafted from my favorite songs for curling up cozy on a rainy day with that cup of hot chocolate and my fave snuggly socks.
Shop That Hygge Style!