DIY Beauty: Vegan Scrubs
Per a request from a fellow blogger, Wild Hearts + Green Tea, I present my vegan DIY scrubs that you can make out of stuff you find in your kitchen! I’m a huge fan of scrubs and things but they cost more money than I think they should for a product that goes on your legs and down the drain shortly thereafter. At least lotion absorbs into your skin.
Many DIY beauty products include essential oils in the ingredients. By and large, these are mostly for scent. If I were making these as gifts, I MIGHT add EOs for the sake of scent but I prefer unscented stuff and that’s money I don’t have to spend.
You all have seen my favorite coffee and cocoa powder facial mask. I usually make these on the same day and have a pamper sort of day.
We’ve got two: Leg and Lip
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 2 tbsp citrus juice (i prefer lemon or lime)
- Mix all your ingredients. It’s really a 1:1 ratio on the sugar and oil for however much you want to make. The ingredients above is enough for me to scrub twice and then to my upper arms and elbows.
- Soak your legs in warm water for at least 5 minutes. Read: An excuse to relax in a bath.
- Using a fresh razor, shave your legs. (If you’re not the shaving type, go ahead and skip)
- Apply the scrub gently rubbing it onto your legs making sure to take extra care where the skin is at its thinnest on your ankles, feet, and knees. Massage it on in a circular motion using your fingertips. I like to massage for a solid 1-2 minutes. Really get everything off.
- Rinse the scrub off.
- SAFETY NOTE! Be careful moving around the tub. The oil will make surfaces slick. Be sure to clean the tub after this scrub. We don’t want anyone hurting themselves in the name of soft skin.
- Repeat steps 3-5 again. Be warned, when you shave this time, the razor is going to be particularly gunky with a mixture of residual oil and dead skin. Rinse and rinse often. And be glad that’s not on your skin anymore.
- I wouldn’t judge you if you used some shower gel here to get the remaining oil off. But if you leave some on, it will just make your skin extra soft.
- Pat your legs dry with a clean towel.
- Apply lotion.
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- Take a small amount and rub on your lips with a finger tip using a small circular motion to lift dead skin.
- Rinse lips.
- Use a clean toothbrush and rub your lips again in the same circular motion.
- Repeat steps 2 & 3.
- Pat dry, apply a moisturizing lip balm, and go!
What are your favorite beauty products to DIY? How do you make them? I would love to hear in the comments!